Thursday, April 5

Meg's Power Bites




I bet you're wondering why I call them Power Bites. These little guys are actually packed with sustaining foods: pb, oats, fruit... And they are the easiest thing ever to make. I'm always looking out for ways to sustain my hunger when I'm busy (aren't we all?), and it can sometimes get expensive to keep buying energy bars all the time. You can make these with traditional ingredients (i.e Skippy, Rice Krispies) but I would recommend using the all-natural or organic version if possible. That's what I did with these, and it's going to be even better for you! Now if you'll excuse me I have to go get my Snuggie and stuff my face.


Meg's Power Bites
makes: about 15 bite size pieces

1/4 cup Peanut Butter
2 tsp Cocoa Powder
3 tbsp Honey (I used orange blossom honey-soooo tasty)
tiny pinch of salt (my pb was actually salted too, so if yours isn't, you'll have to do a taste test)
1 cup of puffed rice (I used Arrowhead Mills)
1/4 cup of oats (I used the quick-cooking, but you can use the rolled oats)
1/4 cup of dried cherries, finely chopped


DIRECTIONS
1. Mix the peanut butter, cocoa powder, honey, and salt together with a spoon until completely combined.
2. Pour in the rice, oats, and cherries, and mix together to combine. Make sure everything is evenly coated. If you're feeling frisky get your hands in there and mix it together.
3. Take about a tablespoon and shape into small domes. You might have to press them together a little bit to get them to stick, but they should hold up well.

Variations:
Try some other dried fruit! Just make sure it's diced up well so it gets incorporated in the mixture
Try using almond butter
Toss in some coconut, or use some other chopped nuts and seeds. If doing this, just take out an equal amount of the puffed rice or oats.

These things are really versatile according to your needs and personal yum factor!

No comments: