Thursday, January 22

Mary and Max


One of the perks of living in Utah is the Sundance Film Festival. It's one of the few cool things we actually get to claim. I (sheepishly) am admitting I have never been before. Simply because the idea of really cold conditions and rubbing shoulders with self-proclaimed elitists isn't my idea of a good time. And, well, it just hasn't worked out before. Because seriously-if someone gave me free tickets, I would make the 25 minute drive up the canyon. Which is exactly what I did last night with Matt. And because (bonus!) it was at a small theater in Kamas, which is about 15 minutes from Park City. No crowds! No lines! Cheap popcorn and treats!

But let's talk movie. We saw Mary and Max. I didn't know much about it, except that is was claymation (one of my favorites, btw) and it had the voice talents of Toni Collette and Philip Seymour Hoffman. I usually like to see movies with no-name people in them at a film festival, but it was free, duh. I cried during the movie! I don't cry, much less admit to it. But oh my, was it a good movie. So dark and real, and so happy and sweet. I was so happy about it that I had say something. I'm pretty sure it will get some sort of distribution, even if it's only at very few theaters. I'm buying it.

No comments: